Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sountracks can make the difference...clearly

Dear John is a movie based on the book by Nicholas Sparks. I hated it. Let's face it...I'm a girl. I'm supposed to like all that romantic crap but this made me want to throw my overpriced candy treats at the screen. And I am a big fan of the perfect soundtrack. Ever since the prodigious John Hughes put a perfect song like "Don't You Forget About Me" in a movie, I think any movie is enhanced by the soundtrack and in some cases a movie can be saved by adding the right music. Some of the scenes in this movie may have been redeemed by a touching ballad or two but even they were super cheesy and dull.

I think Nicholas Sparks is a talented writer (ya know for romance) but this story was just god awful. The only time I cried had nothing to do with the main characters but with the acting and sadness that Richard Jenkins created playing the role of Mr. Tyree. He's an amazing actor. If you don't know who I am talking about you could watch his straightman comedy in movies like Burn After Reading or Step Bothers. He's a gem! But this was a different sort of role for him. He was touching and distant. It was uncomfortable and fantastic all at the same time.

I think that Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum were a beautifully matched couple. She's gotten prettier as she gets older...but she always reminded me of an alien trapped in a girl's body. Something about her eyes...they are too wide and round. Channing Tatum is super hot but he's got to get a new name. It's tragic that such fine abs are wasted on a wimpy little name like Channing...What is his nickname??? Is he "The Chan-Man"?!?!? That would be kinda awesome. Whatever. They did what they could with a dull script. I didn't enjoy it AT ALL. My friend and I talked and made fun of it the entire time. It should have tipped me off that we were practically the only ones in the theater.

In general, if you are a chick who falls for all that dull uninteresting romantic bullshit then see this movie. I don't care. Drool over the crap Hollywood has let ooze into the theaters. But don't expect me to watch it with you. I have suffered enough.

Dear John
Directed By: Lasse Hallstrom
Written By: Jamie Linden based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks
Opened On: February 5, 2010

Cast
Amanda Seyfried - Savannah
Channing Tatum - John
Richard Jenkins - Mr. Tyree
Henry Thomas - Tim

Viewed On: 02/05/10
Viewed With: Monica and Michelle
Recommendation: Save your money...It sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment