Monday, August 2, 2010

Theater full of Schmucks

I can't get over the total crapfest that unfolded in the AMC. I went to see Dinner for Schmucks with my friend Jessica. When we get into the theater we are the only 2 people in the seats. Sa-weet. But it didn't last long and before I knew it there were people everywhere...in front of me...beside me...in back of me...and they were all complete suckbags.

The movie was ok. If you like Steve Carell & his brand of humor then you'll enjoy the movie. He's even goofier than normal. And I can't get over the reddish brown tint they gave to his hair. Michael Scott looks debonair compared to this dweeb. Paul Rudd is one of my very favorites. He's a great "straight man" and he is one of the men in Hollywood that makes me drool...he's funny, intelligent, handsome...

Basically a man wants to get ahead in his company and in order to prove himself to the boss he has to find an idiot and bring him to a monthly dinner so his boss & colleagues can make fun. The characters they find are truly one-of-a-kind weirdos. And Rudd actually hits Carrell with his car...he finds out that as a hobby this taxidermist finds dead mice, stuffs them and dresses them up to be encased in themed dioramas. This seem like the perfect kind of guy to bring, right? Well, we all know the answer...wrong. He is a "tornado of destruction" and ever since meeting this seemingly sweet odd-ball Rudd's character has his life turned upside down.

There were funny moments. And I did laugh but I wasn't blown away. A lighthearted slapstick comedy with a moral-based ending...whatever. I would probably catch it again if it came on tv but I wouldn't recommend rushing out to see it. Although I did think that Jermaine Clement (Flight of the Concords) was great as the quirky artist. He's always such a crazy bizarre dude.

But seriously I heard about 3/4s of the movie because of the assclowns in the rows behind me. One D-bag had the loudest most obnoxious hyena laugh I've experienced in public (at first I thought it was some teenage boy making a joke but it turns out he just sucks at life and if I were his friends I would've knocked him out so I could hear the movie...he was at least 3 rows away and I couldn't hear a thing over his cackle) and then there was the couple out for "date night" who fought their marital battles over a bag of popcorn and some Raisinettes in the seats directly behind me. I swear I didn't want to hear anymore about how he doesn't spend enough time with the kids or how her thighs are too fat. Kill me. The melodrama of retards playing out real life in the seats around me was more painful than the "ok" movie.

Dinner for Schmucks
Directed By: Jay Roach
Written By: David Guion & Michael Handelman
Opened On: July 30, 2010

Cast
Steve Carell Barry
Paul Rudd Tim
Zach Galifianakis Therman
Jermaine Clement Kieran

Viewed On: August 1, 2010
Viewed With: Jessica
Recommendation: DVD...you don't need to catch this in the movies

No comments:

Post a Comment